May 19, 2012

Forty: Fear Not, It's Fabulous!

If you are turning forty, or are in the middle of it, or leaving forty for fifty, hear me now: Have no fear.

I've come to the conclusion, age is just a number. For me personally, the years between forty and fifty were the best years of my life. Professionally, my career was on track and I was moving up the corporate ladder. In fact, if I had never been promoted again, I would have been satisfied. I liked my job, my co-workers, and my work environment. The worst of the climb upward was behind me and the future was bright. Personally, my family was "settled".  My life partner was supportive and loving. The children were basically self-sufficient, responsive to our family values, and reasonably happy.


Spiritually, I had learned to trust in God, knew Him as a wondrous help, and knew, after troubled times, He would make me smile again ( Psalm 43:5). I was centered in Isaiah 43:2-3:

When you pass through deep waters I will be with you; your troubles will not overwhelm you. When you pass through fire, you will not be burned; the hard trials that come will not hurt you. For I am the Lord your God!"
So where ever you are, look forward. You've learn important lessons from the past forty plus years and are better prepared to step into the promise of the future. You can change the things you need to change and retain the important relationships and values that have sustained you through your journey.

Take a look at what forty looks like, as evidenced by these five beautiful women of color who celebrate being forty:


Aisha Tyler-Actress, Comedian, Author-Born September 18, 1970
Tidbits: Earned a degree in environmental policy from Dartmouth College.
Won a celebrity edition of The Weakest Link in 2001. She wrote, directed, and starred in the independent short film The Whipper.Aisha loves to cook. One of her favorite activities used to be to go to a gourmet restaurant and order a meal and then to try and replicate that meal in her home kitchen.




Taraji P. Henson-Actress, Singer-Born September 11, 1970
Tidbits: She worked two jobs—in the morning as a secretary at the Pentagon and in the night as a singing and dancing waitress on a dinner cruise ship—The Spirit of Washington—to finance her studies at Howard University. She earned a degree in Theater Arts.






Regina King-Film and Television Actress--Born January 15, 1970
Tidbit: Began her acting career in 1985 in the role of Marla Gibbs' studious daughter Brenda on the television series 227. King is dating actor Malcolm-Jamal Warner. Regina King was a vocal and prominent supporter of Barack Obama in his campaign for election to the United States presidency.

 

Viola Davis-Broadway Stage and Film Actress-Born August 11, 1964
Tidbits: Majored in Theater Art at Rhode Island College. Attended the Julliard School for four years. Won Tony Award twice and was Academy Award nominee for Best Actress. Made the Time Magazine list of 100 Most Influential People in the World.


Shonda Rimes-Screenwriter, Director, Producer-Born January 13, 1970
Tidbits: Earned a Master of Fine Arts from the University of Southern California's School of Cinema-Television and  was ranked at the top of her class.  After graduation, she worked at a variety of day jobs, including as an office administrator, and then as a counselor at a job center that taught mentally ill and homeless people job skills. Rhimes was nominated for a Razzie Award for Worst Screenplay for the 2002 Britney Spears film Crossroads. Despite being panned by critics, the film grossed over $60 million worldwide.

What about the regular people you might ask. I think my daughters are excellent examples of enjoying "forty" and looking toward the future.


Kimberly Green-Edwards-Born November 23, 1963
Breast Cancer Survivor, Hospice Nursing Professional, Phi Theta Kappa member, Mother of three, Grandmother of four, Loving daughter, and Faithful friend.



Krystal Lynn Green-Born January 19, 1972
Committed Youth Development Professional, Devoted Mother, Loving daughter, Delta Sigma Theta member, Active Obama Volunteer-Organizing for America, Loyal friend

Keep Looking Forward!

0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More