May 12, 2012

A Mother's Day Tribute-Life Lessons From My Mom



Mother's Day seems a perfect time to share memories of my Mom, Laura Randolph. It makes me smile to think of her. You'd love her spunk, her intelligence, her sincerity, and her dedication to her family.

It was plain to see that Laura loved her husband Moses, and while she was the brains in the family, the planner, and the achiever, she left no doubt about her respect for and appreciation of her spouse. Her world was centered in her family and she wrapped  them in her unconditional love. One of the most important anchors of my life has been the knowledge that no matter what, my mother was my best friend and confidant. I wanted my children to be secure in that same unconditional love.

As I look back, I recognize that her values are my values. Love of family, respect for learning, a sense of responsibility for community-all the principles of the Nguzo Saba (the Seven Principles of Kwanzaa) are inculcated in me through her example and teachings. She gave me the desire to achieve and to excel which has always served me in difficult situations. Growing up during the age of ground-breaking school integration and being the sole member of my race in my classes throughout most of my elementary school period, my mother's strength sustained me and her unwavering commitment to education stayed with me for a lifetime. If I've done my job well, I've entrenched these same principles at the core of my children's beliefs and imparted them to other family members as well.


My mom was a person who lived the tenants of her Catholic faith. She was humble, giving, and made every effort to live a true Christian life. Attending church every Sunday was a given and I remember going to Mass every day in my early school years. No gossiping, no back-biting, no unkind words-those are the things I remember about my Mom's example. I'm working on living up to that example.  My best defense against these ills is to walk away from acquaintances who gossip and are unkind. But, I continue to work on achieving the improvements I need. (God is not through with me yet.)

There are so many things my mother told me that I repeat to my family over and over.  I find myself saying "my mother always said"... and my kids are accustomed to hearing me say that. When I'm challenging disrespect or poor customer service, I remember standing by my mother's side as her tiny 5'4" frame rose to 6' tall as she confronted tradesmen and store salesmen on an issue. She was forceful and articulate, always dignified in her pursuit. I did not understand the courage it took during the days before the civil rights struggle to challenge them as she did. Even so, I was proud of her for speaking up for herself and demanding her due.

I guess I could go on and on about my Mom, but, in summary, her prevailing message was love... for family and community. If I'm lucky, I'll follow in her footsteps and be the example she left behind.

Happy Mother's Day, Mom.  I'll never forget you.


0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More