Aug 1, 2012

Tips for Eating Healthy: Be A Kitchen Pro

Did you ever think about getting a professional to help you reach your goals? I've often wished I could afford to hire a chef to cook my meals, a personal trainer to manage my exercise program, a housekeeper to maintain my residence, and even a personal shopper to guide my shopping selections. That would make my world much easier, but my economic situation doesn't provide for any of that. So, I decided to tackle the situation and become my own "Pro".

Determined to eat healthy and to achieve my goal, I changed my attitudes and habits. Here are some of my strategies:



When the coming week's schedule seems tighter than usual, I set aside some time on the weekend to make dishes I can reheat during the week. I follow Rachael Ray's program A Week in a Day for tips and techniques. I even find my self making a double-batch, freezing half, and storing meals for ready use.

I've redefined "Main Dish" and made meals more streamlined and simple. No longer do I need restaurant meals of main entree, two side dishes, a salad, dessert and a beverage. Those were the meals my mother prepared and served every day, not just on Sunday.  For years I followed in her footsteps until one day I decided to do something different. Why not serve sandwiches, omelets, or salads with grilled chicken or salmon for dinner. Skip fattening dessert and replace them with fruit, fat-free pudding, or jello. No more sugar filled drinks. Make it water or a sugar-free beverage.


I redefined "side dish". Rice and Potatoes aren't mandatory with every meal. I increase my veggies by doubling my portions or even combined them in some cases. Why must veggies be cooked? Serve crudites with hummus. Even unsweetened applesauce or grilled fruit can accompany your main dish. you can save time by raiding the supermarket salad bar for cut-up veggies to cook with or toss into salad.

Team with family or friends for meal swaps. Double-batch and share. Take turns and make a schedule. Delegate and get your kids, spouse, partner or roommate to help with the cooking.


Hit the (cook)books and watch cooking shows. Go online and look at instructional photos or videos of recipes and cooking techniques at Foodnetwork.com or cookingchanneltv.com. Take a cooking class. You can find affordable ones at grocery stores, adult schools and community centers. Ask a friend who's a good cook to teach you. Get with some of your friends, set aside a night and exchange recipes (bring samples).


When all else fails, don't cook. Turn to raw and ready-to-eat foods: fruits and veggies, whole-grain bread, low-fat yogurt, cheese sticks and cold cuts.

You can be a kitchen "Pro". Positive self talk is one of the keys to success. you won't reach your weight goal without believing in yourself. Write down one positive thing you accomplish each day in a journal. Over time you'll see all the things you are doing right, which will motivate you to keep going.

Remember, your future is in your hands.


0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More