Jan 17, 2013

Confessions of a Fast Food Junkie: Watching My Weight



Up until joining Weight Watchers last July, I had never really thought about how I had gotten to be a fast food junkie. Sure, I've always been a "big guy". I've been 6'5" tall since graduating High School and the all you can eat meal plan at Trueblood Cafeteria at Southern Illinois University helped me solidify my status as "Big Man on Campus". However, since earning my Bachelor's Degree and moving on to the "real world", I was able to maintain a reasonable weight for a person of my size.

Don't get me wrong, I've never fit into that "healthy weight range" suggested on the BMI chart. But, in the sixteen years that have passed since my college years, I don't remember ever feeling "fat". That was until August of 2011 when I was invited to a friend's wedding. It was as if overnight, all of my old clothes stopped fitting and I was forced to buy bigger sizes.

It was strange because 12 months earlier, in 2010, I had been working out and losing weight and dropping pounds by controlling my diet and exercise. All of a sudden, I became extremely ill and ended up having a major surgery due to a blood infection that developed from a diabetic ulcer.

There I was two and a half years prior, feeling great about myself and making true progress in becoming more active. However, the unfortunate surgery that left me with a permanent disability (along with depression), played an instrumental part in gaining about 100 lbs in a two year period.

Of course, it would have been a lot easier for me to explore this series of events in my own spare time. I could have used this topic for one of my blogs or maybe just had a few moments of personal self reflection. That's what any normal person would do.

So, there I was at my second weekly Weight Watchers meeting. Shocked by the fact that I was able to lose 6.2 lbs in my first week (a major achievement for a skeptic like me). As I was asked to share my experiences and feelings about the program thus far, something inside me decided that now would be the perfect time to have an emotional breakdown smack dab in the middle of the weekly meeting.

Now, I not one of those guys that believe that "boys don't cry" or that "real men don't shed tears". However, I was awfully embarrassed by the fact that I was only in my second week of the program... down a mere 6.2 lbs... and here I am crying like a teething toddler with a toothache.

Luckily for me, my tears were not of sorrow. I was overwhelmed with joy and elated because of the small amount of progress that I had made in the short amount of time that I had tried to lose weight. I had spent that past year saying "I'm going to lose weight" and in seven simple days I had lost more weight that I had in the past two years.



Now that I have been a part of the Weight Watchers program for six months, I'm healthier by almost 30 lbs. I'm way more active than I used to be and I'm doing better at controlling my fast food habit. I know that I still have a long way to go to reach my ultimate goal. Fortunately for me, my Weight Watchers group, along with my family, has been such a positive influence and system of support that it has been a lot easier for me to succeed than if I was trying to do it by myself.






1 comments:

The issues you faced would destroy a lesser man. I'm happy that you are sharing your story. So many people need to hear it. You'll never be by yourself, not with a loving wife, a loyal family and a slew of supportive friends. Hang in there big guy!

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More