Jul 14, 2012

YO-YO: Women and Minorities Going Backward



Comic Jimmie "JJ" Walker slamming President Obama and implying that Blacks vote based on race raises my blood pressure. He must agree with the folks in the Hamptons who paid $30,000 per person to attend a fundraiser for Mitt Romney and managed to get media attention to their views that Blacks are less educated, don't understand our (political) system and therefore don't know how to vote on the issues. Resegregation, racial profiling, increasing crime rates, in adequate public schooling, voter suppression, increasing incarceration- so many issues tell me that unless we make good decisions in Election 2012, women and minorities are going backward and YO-YO (you're on your own).


When I hear the Republican Presidential Candidate say that he accepts the draconian Ryan Budget, wants to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA), wants to cut Social Security and Medicare, and doesn't care about the poor (which is one-third of the population), my votes goes to the Democratic Presidential Candidate, even if he happens to be Black. When I hear seven Republican Governors say "NO" to Medicaid Expansion, knowing that their refusal will harm women and minorities,  I can tell them YO-YO, you're on your own.

Since the Medicaid Expansion targets assistance for 17 million Americans whose income is 133 per cent of the Poverty Line (an income of $14,856 for individuals and $30,5657 for a family of four), I hear these seven Republican Governors saying "I don't care about you". Just think in Texas and Florida alone 3 million people are eligible for the Medicaid Expansion and will be denied that health care option. Remember, the federal government will fund 100% of the expense for three years and 90 per cent there after. So, in the case of LA, Governor Bobby Jindal is turning down $90 Billion, saying "YO-YO", you're on your own". It's hard to accept that we'll let people die or suffer worsening health from unattended medical issues while Republicans make a political statement. But, I guess that's no worse than letting Congress sit on its hands and fail to adress the struggling economy in order to make the President look bad, hoping to achieve their primary goal of making him a one term president.

No "JJ", I'd never vote for anyone solely based on non-meritorious factors like race, religion, sex, national origin, or sexual orientation. Nor will I act on Mitt Romney's advice "to vote for the other guy, if I want more free stuff". I'll look at the facts and make an informed decision. All the information I have leads me to vote for Barack Obama for a second term and let him finish the work he's set out to do. I'll vote for the Democratic Senatorial Candidate in my state so that Democrats can retain the Senate, and I'll vote to elect Democrats to break the Republican hold on the House of Representatives.

Most importantly, I'll vote and hope you vote for the candidates of your choice.

0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More