May 6, 2013

Favorite Romantic Quotes: "You Have To Earn Me."


Last week, one of my favorite characters, Olivia Pope, from one of my favorite T.V. shows, Scandal uttered a statement that may well stay with us through the years and stand the test of time. You have to be a tough cookie to stand up to one of the most powerful men in the world, the President of the United States, even if he is your boyfriend. Olivia is trying to end the relationship and the President is holding on for dear life, in spite of the fact the first Lady has promised to go public with details of his affair. In the middle of a heated argument, Olivia tells Fritz (Mr. President) “You have to earn me” and Facebook fans went wild.
 

In popular culture there are statements, phrases or brief exchanges of dialogue that stay with us from year to year. Some are lines from a film or television production, but not lyrics from a song. Some people think that romantic movie quotes are corny or cheesy, but whether we accept it or not, every one of us can appreciate a bit of romance in our lives.

Olivia's words notwithstanding, over the years, other block-buster quotes have set audiences reeling and these quotes have become a part of popular culture. Reach into your hidden memories and recall your response to some of my favorite romantic movie quotes:
 
You had me at hello.”"You complete me.”

Jerry Macguire, 1996
 
 
“You should be kissed, and often, by someone who is good at it.”
“Frankly my dear I don’t give a damn.”
Gone With The Wind, 1939



"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds. And that's what you've given me. That's what I'd hoped to give you forever”
"I have a crush on your mind, I fell for your personality and your looks are just a big bonus."

“I want all of you, forever, you and me, everyday”
The Notebook, 2004

"I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

"I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night."
When Harry Met Sally, Harry (Billy Crystal) , 1989
 

 
"The only thing that matters is what they feel, and how much they feel, for each other. And if it's half of what we felt — that's everything."
"You think of yourself as a colored man. I think of myself as a man."
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, 1967

 

These are just a few memorable lines from a few romantic movies. I know you have some of your own favorites. Take a moment and share them with us.

0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More