May 25, 2013

Love and Humor: A Winning Combination



Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, To Have and Have Not, Ghost, Pretty Woman, Officer and a Gentleman...What do each of these films have in common? Quick answer: all have been included in some listing of great romance movies. But, let's not argue. I'd rather take a minute looking at films that have humorous plot lines centered on romantic ideals. Love and humor is a winning combination.

In short, let's look at romantic comedies. In my view some of the very best films in this genre were products of the gifts and talents of Norah Ephron. Her films were not only commercially successful, but her brand of "chick flicks" found a place in the hearts of an adoring public.



When Harry Met Sally Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan

The story follows the title characters from the time they meet on a cross-country carpool ride, through twelve years or so of chance encounters in New York City. The film raises the question "Can men and women ever just be friends?" Harry and Sally have known each other for years, and are very good friends, but they fear sex would ruin the friendship.

An unforgettable moment takes place in a crowded restaurant where SallyAlbright (Meg Ryan) assures her friend Harry Burns (Billy Crystal) that women do fake orgasms during sex and do so successfully. She demonstrates this ability while the crowd takes note. When she finishes, an elderly woman tells her waitress "I'll have what she's having".


Harry Connick, Jr. says it all in his musical introduction to the film "It Had To Be You", But the big moment in this film for me was when Harry tells Sally what her loves about her:

"I love that you get cold when it's 71 degrees out. I love that it takes you an hour and a half to order a sandwich. I love that you get a little crinkle above your nose when you're looking at me like I'm nuts. I love that after I spend the day with you, I can still smell your perfume on my clothes. And I love that you are the last person I want to talk to before I go to sleep at night. And it's not because I'm lonely, and it's not because it's New Year's Eve. I came here tonight because when you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."

Sleepless in Seattle (1993)
Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan

Sam Baldwin, a Chicago architect, loses his wife Maggie to cancer. He and his young son Jonah start new lives in Seattle, but Sam still grieves. The film takes off when a recently-widowed man's son calls a radio talk show in an attempt to find his father a partner.

"I'm going to get out of bed every morning, breath in and out all day long. Then, after a while, I  won't have to remind myself...I won't have to think about how I and it great and perfect for a while." (Tom Hanks as Sam Baldwin to the radio talk show host)


One of the listeners is Annie Reed, a Baltimore Sun reporter (played by Meg Ryan).
Here's the big question: “What if someone you never met, someone you never saw, someone you never knew, was the only someone for you”.


"It was a million tiny little things. When you added them up, it just meant we were supposed to be together." When Sam Baldwin first saw Annie Albright he knew she was the one for him.

Don't forget the music in this film.  Jimmy Durante wow the audience with his rendition of "Make Someone Happy" and "As Time Goes By". Louis Armstrong adds "A Kiss to Build A Dream On", and there are many more great songs. I'll always remember, Celine Dion and Clive Griffin singing one of the best movie love songs 'When I Fall in Love".



You've Got Mail (1998)
Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan

Message: Someone you pass on the street may already be the love of your life. The film once again showcases the great chemistry between Hanks and Ryan.

Two business rivals hate each other at the office but fall in love over the Internet. They meet in a chat room and begin communicating via e-mail, unaware of each other's true identities.  "If I knew your name and address, I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils." (Joe Fox to Shopgirl)

Meg Ryan's bookstore is called "The Shop Around the Corner." This is a reference to the 1940 Jimmie Stewart/Margaret Sullivan movie of that name, upon which "You've Got Mail" was loosely based.

 "this girl is the most adorable creature I've ever been in contact with. And if she turns out to be as good looking as a mailbox, I would be foolish not to turn my life upside down and MARRY her."
(Tom Hanks as Joe Fox aka NY152)


As the film ends. Shopgirl and NY152 finally meet in a beautiful park after months of chatting on the Internet and falling in love.

"Don't cry, shop girl." (Joe Fox)

"I wanted it to be you. I wanted it to be you so badly... " (Kathleen Kelly)        




Norah Ephron lost her battle with Leukemia on June 26, 2012 at the age of 71. She was nominated three times for the Academy Award for Best Writing (Original Screenplay). Her movies will leave to pleasure the ages.

Thanks for the Memories, Norah.
  

0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More