Jun 11, 2013

Jared Fogle: Turned Weight Loss into Millions




Today was not a good day.  When I weighed in at Weight Watchers, I had gained four pounds in one week. Oddly enough, I took it in stride, refusing to be completely devastated by my poor choices.  I sent my husband and children a text sharing my weekly results, shook myself mentally, and went back to work on making healthier food choices and controlling my portions.

While surfing the Internet, I bumped into a familiar face, my friend from Subway, Jared Fogle. It must be a message sent to help me get back on track. Everybody knows Jared. He's been a spokesman for Subway for 15 years. Subway's Executive Chef Gina Pace says Jared is like one of the family. The company says Jared is responsible for one third to one half of Subway's growth in the past 15 years. His current estimated net worth is $15 million.

Jared says it was a win-win relationship. “I owe a lot to Subway,” he said, but declined to put a dollar amount on the deal. “They’ve given me an amazing life in multiple ways.”


Those many years ago, 6'2' tall Jared weighed 425 pounds. He had no social life while he carried a 60 inch waistline and he suffered from sleep apnea. After falling asleep behind the wheel and surviving a near accident, he decided to do something about his obesity.

Most folks have heard about Jared turning to Subway and his turkey sub for lunch (no mayo, no oil and no cheese). Dinner consisted of a full length veggie sub. Both meals were accompanied by baked chips and a diet drink. Jared stayed on this meal plan for eleven months. In three months he lost 94 pounds and in a year he had peeled off 245 pounds.

The rest is history. His story in the college newspaper attracted other local media and magazines. Then, Subway called and flew Jared to California to film his first commercial. Two weeks later Oprah called. To date, Jared has filmed more than 300 commercials. After his first year with Subway, sales improved 20 percent.Overall, sales more than tripled to $11.5 billion in 2011, hitting around $3 billion in 1998, according to Nation’s Restaurant News. It’s clear Subway has found its cash cow

Now his life revolves around interviews, cross-country trips to Subway franchises, speeches at schools and hospitals, and his charity to fight child obesity, The Jared Foundation. He spends free time with his wife and their 20-month-old son. The couple has another baby on the way.

As for me, I've lost eight pounds through Weight Watchers. You'll see me hanging around the local Subway for lunch. My goal is to lose twenty more pounds, starting with the four I gained last week.  It's an ongoing project, but I'm in for the long haul and am confident of my success. I'll keep you posted.

0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More