Oct 8, 2014

"The Assets": Circle of Treason Thriller





My romance with Netflix (new logo and all) continues to supply my need for new dramas that offer deliciously interesting characters caught in webs of mystery and intrigue. What kind of chum would I be if I didn’t share with my friends? Being loyal and true blue compels me to let you in on my recently discovered treasure trove of hidden gems. Join me on my journey, and open doors to new adventures compliments of Netflix and your television set.



Let’s start with the 2014 American miniseries, “The Assets”.  a true to life spy mystery based on the book Circle of Treason: A CIA Account of Traitor Aldrich Ames and the Men He Betrayed by retired CIA officers Sandra Grimes and Jeanne Vertefeuille. When the show first aired on January 2, not everyone shared my enthusiasm. The pilot episode received the lowest rating of any drama premier on any of the three major networks ever. When the second episode aired on January 9, the negative reviews and low ratings caused a quick death on January 10. The remaining episodes appeared months later on Saturday nights and a few Sunday afternoons in the summer until completion.

Craving a suspenseful drama and unaware of the critics disdain, I caught the first episode of “The Assets” about a month ago. I was immediately intrigued by the true story of the biggest traitor America had ever seen. In 1985, Aldrich Ames (Paul Rhys), a CIA officer, analyst and agent, hands over top-secret files to the Russians at the Soviet Embassy in Washington D. C. and the drama begins.


CIA Counter-intelligence expert Sandy Grimes (Jodi Whittaker) soon recognizes that the agency is losing its “assets” (Soviet Intel Officers spying for the U. S.) in rapid-fire succession. She is assigned a vital mission: save the assets by identifying the mole thought to be operating within the agency itself. As the story progresses Sandy begins to suspect Ames, but must convince others that he is the mole selling secret information to the Soviets. The story develops bit by bit, piece by piece until the small group dedicated to finding the mole agrees that Ames is their man.



Aldrich Ames, Traitor

I don’t know what the critics saw, but the series held my interest and took me along for the ride as the spy was uncovered and captured. It gave me a chance to revisit the Cold War through a real-life widely publicized case. No, it wasn't flashy, but the chase itself and the development of the characters fit my bill. Thanks to the arrogance of Ames coupled with the determination of Sandy Grimes, justice was served in 1994. Ames was convicted of espionage and sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. As the drama ended, Aldrich Ames himself, a 31 year CIA veteran turned traitor, shared some insight as to why he choose to betray his country and how he lives with the knowledge of the cost of his sins.
Call me crazy, but I thought the time I spent watching "The Assets" was time well spent. Fortunately, I was unaware of the low ratings and negative reviews when I decided to watch the series.Could the critics be wrong? Check it out for yourself.  Don’t forget to let me know what you think.




0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More