Oct 1, 2014

Trick or Treat: October Weight Management



 October is Family Health Month. It’s a great time to plan for healthier choices and set goals for what you want to achieve this month.  Get a new bag of tricks to ensure your success and figure out how to manage “Halloween”. Image your “future” self, the healthier, lighter, happier person you want to be and start today becoming that person.

Every journey begins with the first step and weight loss begins with a series of small steps. First, remember the daily healthy food guidelines: 3-5 servings of fruits and veggies, 2 servings of non-fat and low fat dairy, whole grains, lean proteins, healthy oils (2 teaspoons), 6-8 glasses of water or other liquids, and a multivitamin.

This month, I started tracking my meals to ensure that I include each of the items on this list every day. I use my smartphone to take a quick snap shot of what I eat at every meal and I take a photo of what remains when I’ve finished. My phone helps me look up the number of calories and/or carbs in any food and I use that information to decide what I’ll eat. This is particularly helpful when eating out either at a restaurant or fast food spot. It helps me make better choices. Remember, the pain of passing up food is only temporary, but the pride of being healthier will last forever.

Start thinking “Live It” vs “Die-It”. Make simple changes that you can incorporate in new behaviors that can carry you forever. Leave the world of sugary sodas, move to sugar free drinks, and bump up your intake of water. That’s the journey I took and it helped me lose weight. I hate to say it, but I never drank water before I began my weight loss journey. I hated fruits and veggies and loved carbs and starches. Bread and potatoes-had to have them at every meal. Now, when I look at my plate, I see no bread, fruits and veggies, grilled or baked protein (chicken, shrimp, or fish). My drink of choice is water. It’s not a diet...it’s a lifestyle change that has endured for years. Sometimes I find it hard to believe, but I’m loving it!
Now let’s get to Halloween and “Trick or Treat”. If you are haunted by those Halloween candies, keep them out of the house. Get healthier treats for the ghost and goblins that come to your door. Another option is purchasing treats at the very last minute. Hey, they might even be on sale. Then, get rid of every single piece the very next day, even if you have to pitch it in the trash. Provide treats for yourself that you can enjoy guilt free. You deserve it and it’s easier to stay on track if you have a healthier option.

Don’t forget to stay active. October brings beautiful weather and inspiring outdoor landscapes. Take advantage and WALK. Find a friend and make it a regular outing. Walk around the neighborhood with kids or grandkids and check out the scary decorations. Workout to a Jazzercise or exercise video with great music. Take a Zumba class or join aqua aerobics. Line dance at the local YMCA. Wear a pedometer and see how many steps you take each day. Then see how you can increase them. Make exercise fun and you won’t want to miss it.


Take a small step today and begin your weight loss journey anew. You’re worth it!
Check me out...80 pounds lighter!
 
 
 




0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More