Mar 9, 2012

Beyonce Charged With NIP-Shame, Shame

Beyonce and Baby Blue Ivy-
Mega star Beyonce is in the middle of yet another controversy, recently charged with NIP, nursing in public. Yes, everything is a media event nowadays and many nursing mothers, including Beyonce find that some people object to breast feeding in public. The new mother and her seven week old daughter Blue Ivy were spotted at a restaurant and, heaven forbid, the star was breastfeeding at the table. Some folks believe that mothers should hid this "shameful" practice, leaving the table and hiding out in the Ladies' Room to perform this dastardly deed.

As the mother of three, I am proud of the fact that I breastfed each of my children.  I don't remember leaving the table or hiding out, even though it's been years since my kids were of nursing age. I was completely oblivious to complaints or disapproval.  All I knew was that breastfeeding was good for babies and I committed myself to doing it as long as possible.

Anayah Sangodele-Ayoka and Jeanine Valrie, the co-founders and editors of FreetoBreastfeed.com, probably are ecstatic that a woman as famous as Beyonce will lend support for their efforts to encourage new African American mothers to do the same.

It's time for us to push aside any Puritanical attitudes and get over these outdated taboos. Right on Beyonce.  You do you, Boo!

0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More