Mar 27, 2012

"The Hunger Games" Hits Screen-Offensive Racist Tweets Follow



I wasn't surprised when I learned that "The Hunger Games" became the third largest grossing weekend movie debut when it was released on Friday, March 23.  The box office take was $155 million for the opening weekend.

I was surprised and appalled by offensive racist tweets that followed the movie's success. It appears that some of the fans objected to Black actors being casted in three roles:




"Why is Rue a little black girl? stick with the book"

 "it ruined the movie"

"I'm pissed that Rue is black"

Amandla Stenberg
Lenny Kravitz was cast as stylist Cinna while District 11 tributes Rue and Thresh were portrayed by Amandla Stenberg and Dayo Okeniyi respectively. Suzanne Collins wrote that both Rue and Thresh have "dark brown skin", so readers should have been prepared for the casting.



Tweets about "feeling disgust", "wasted tears...wasted emotion" joined one fan who tweeted "call me racist but when I found out rue was black her death wasn't as sad #ihatemyself,". Another tweeted "Ewwww rue is black?? I'm not watching".






Dayo Okeniyi


These tweets highlight a shocking and offensive racist trend in the country which many turn a blind eye toward. I'm wondering if I was the only one surprised by this turn of events. Leave your comments and tell me what you're thinking.  I'd love to know.

0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More