Feb 24, 2012

AFI's Top Ten Movie Quotes of All Time


The American Film Institute revealed the top movie quotes of all time in AFI's 100 Years...100 Movie Quotes, a three-hour special television event on CBS hosted by actor and action star Pierce Brosnan with commentary from many of Hollywood's most celebrated actors and filmmakers. A jury of 1,500 film artists, critics and historians selected "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn," spoken by Clark Gable in the celebrated Civil War epic, GONE WITH THE WIND as the most memorable movie quote of all time.

The following are the remaining nine movie quotes of all time that round out the ten most memorable:
#2-"I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse."
THE GODFATHER  1972
#3-"You don't understand! I coulda had class, I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum which is what I am."
ON THE WATERFRONT  1954
#4-"Toto, I've got a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."
THE WIZARD OF OZ    1939

#5-"Here's looking at you, kid.
CASABLANCA   1942

#6-"Go ahead, make my day."
SUDDEN IMPACT   1983

#7-"All right, Mr. DeMIlle. I'm ready for my close-up."
SUNSET BLVD   1950
#8-"May the Force be with you."
STAR WARS   1977


#9="Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
ALL ABOUT EVE   1950

#10-"You talking to me?"
TAXI DRIVER   1976

It might interest you to know:

AFI distributed a ballot with 400 nominated movie quotes to a jury of over 1,500 leaders from the creative community, including film artists (directors, screenwriters, actors, editors, cinematographers), critics and historians.

Jury members were asked to choose up to 100 movie quotes from a comprehensive list, including entries such as "Here's lookin' at you, kid" (CASABLANCA), "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn" (GONE WITH THE WIND), "Why don't you come up sometime and see me?" (SHE DONE HIM WRONG), "May the Force be with you" (STAR WARS), "Houston, we have a problem" (APOLLO 13), "Snap out of it!" (MOONSTRUCK), "You can't handle the truth!" (A FEW GOOD MEN), "I'll be back" (THE TERMINATOR) and "Show me the money!" (JERRY MAGUIRE).
Due to the extensive number of memorable movie lines in American film, jurors could also write in votes for up to five quotes that may not already appear on the ballot.

0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More