Jan 2, 2012

Unforgettable TV Moments


Many important moments captured on our television sets changed our lives forever. Some were happy, joyous events and some were frightening and sad. Here are some of those moments that none of us will ever forget:

Nixon-Kennedy Debates
Fifty years ago in October, America launched a new political tool, televised presidential debates. Richard Nixon won the debate among radio listeners, but Americans watching live named young, tan, telegenic John F. Kennedy the victor. Kennedy’s 1960 TV victory, viewed by 70 million viewers is just one of the milestone broadcasts that shaped America’s identity for the last half-century.





November 22-25, 1963
J.F. K’s Assassination/Funeral Coverage
Television news bound American’s together during a national tragedy.
93 percent of U. S. televisions tuned in.
November 22 was a day I’ll never forget. When I heard the sad news, I was at a hospital in Chicago getting a check up for the pending birth of my second child. I’d had a long “love affair” with John F. Kennedy. In 1958, as an eighth grader, I’d written my first term paper about the handsome Jr. Senator from MA. I felt that JFK was a friend, along with his beautiful wife Jackie and relished the Camelot image of the White House. Just as the rest of America, the president’s death was shocking and I went into labor later that same night. My daughter Kimberly was born November 23rd. and I was hospitalized for the next several days, missing all of the nationally televised funeral and burial activities.


February 9, 1964
The Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show
Fans saw The Fab Four on screen for the first time.
73 Million fans kicked off the rock ‘n’ roll revolution.

The Beatles had created a huge sensation in America and where better to display their talents than on the most popular variety show of the time. As one of the millions of views, I waited anxiously for the host to introduce John, George, Paul and Ringo. I sat glued to the TV set and will never forget the elation of watching them perform. All I can say is “She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah.”


August 26-29, 1968
Democratic Convention Riots
While anti-war activist demonstrated, 16.2 million viewers watched 28,000 law enforcement fight against the nation’s first widespread peace protest.
I lived in Chicago and was participating in the political process for the first time as a Hubert Humphrey supporter. Viewing the television coverage of the police brutality against the demonstrators was mind boggling and heart wrenching. All I could think of how close I came to being one of those anti-war activists being beaten. As I look back, all I can think of is how much of the activities slipped past me since I was a novice. All I can say is that I got better over time.


January 12, 1969
Super Bowl III
41.6 million viewers watched Joe Namath’s AFL Jets stomp the heavily favored NFL Colts in a 16-7 upset, setting the stage for years of Sunday showdowns to come.
I watched the game and heard the folks sing the praises of “Broadway Joe”, but quite frankly, most of what was going on went over my head. Once again, all I can say is that I got better.


July 20, 1969
Apollo 11 Moon Landing
528 million viewers world-wide watched Neil Armstrong’s giant leap for mankind.
Soviet television refused to broadcast the feat but, what a glorious day for America... a man on the moon and one small step for mankind. All I remember is being glued to the Television and the sense of pride I felt at our country’s great achievement.


July 29, 1981
Royal Wedding
Britain’s Prince of Wales Weds Lady Diana Spencer
750 viewers around the globe watched the nuptials.
It was almost like a fairy tale come to life. I remember how innocent Lady Diana looked and her beguiling smile. The Prince seemed disengaged amid all the pomp and pageantry, as if to say he was the real star. But, Diana stole the whole show. On that special day, no one could foretell how the fairytale would end. The world’s love affair with Princess Diana long outlasted the couple’s marriage.

August 1, 1981
MTV Debuts
MTV’s debut song was the Buggles’ “Video Killed the Radio Star”. The station garnered 2.1 million subscribers in the first year. I missed noticing this event entirely. Unfortunately, MTV’s focus was elsewhere and so was mine. Michael Jackson captured my attention and finally made MTV revelant to a more diverse audience.



January16, 1991
Persian Gulf War Invasion
Operation Desert Storm opened live in living rooms across the country. Thanks to CNN 118 million viewers watched a war in real time.
I watched the “bombs bursting in air” live and in living color, in the safety of my home. War is destructive and causes loss of many lives, but men continue to engage in it. It's been said that old men decide to go to war, but the young men fight it. I failed to understand why my country was involved, what we had at stake, and why our young men had to stand in harm’s way on our behalf. Sadly, that would not be the only time I did not understand the country’s involvement in war.


September 11, 2001Terrorist attack America
80 million viewers watched the news of the terrorist attacks.
My daughter Krystal called early in the morning. She yelled over the phone saying “It’s going down, Mama...it’s going down”. She urged me to turn on the television and I saw the smoke and fire in the WTC towers. I watched in horror as the events unfolded and the towers collapsed. Tear of sorrow, fear and anxiety fell freely. I’ll never forget the images. The video of the toppling twin towers shattered America’s sense of security.


March 20, 2003
Iraq War begins.
Media outlets provide live broadcasts and up to the minute updates on the Internet. Once again, as I watched events unfold, I failed to understand why my country was involved, what we had at stake, and why our young men had to stand in harm’s way on our behalf.

January 20, 2009
Barack Obama Inauguration
44th President of the United States
Barack Obama launched his presidency before an estimated 1.5 million people on the National Mall with somber yet confident tones, saying the country will overcome its serious economic and international challenges.

"Today I say to you that the challenges we face are real," Obama said in his inaugural address. "They are serious, and they are many. They will not be met easily or in a short span of time. But know this, America: They will be met."


April 29, 2011
Royal Wedding
Prince William marries Kate Middleton
at Westminister Abbey

An estimated 24.5 million viewers tuned in.

Find out everything about their Royal Highnesses The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge at www.dukeandduchessofcambridge.org.







May 1, 2011
Osama Bin Laden Killed
Hunted as the mastermind behind the worst-ever terrorist attack on U.S. soil, Bin Laden has been killed by U. S. Forces in Pakistan. In announcing the death of Bin Laden, President Obama said "Justice has been done". Bin Laden's death brings to an end a tumultuous life that saw him go from being the carefree son of a Saudi billionaire, to terrorist leader and the most wanted man in the world.


December 18, 2011
Iraq War Ends
Time Magazine reported the end of the Iraq War:
The last U.S. soldiers rolled out of Iraq across the border to neighboring Kuwait at daybreak Sunday, whooping, fist bumping and hugging each other in a burst of joy and relief. Their exit marked the end of a bitterly divisive war that raged for nearly nine years and left Iraq shattered, with troubling questions lingering over whether the Arab nation will remain a steadfast U.S. ally.
The mission cost nearly 4,500 American and well more than 100,000 Iraqi lives and $800 billion from the U.S. Treasury. The question of whether it was worth it all is yet unanswered.


0 comments:

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More